Landing a Post College Job
Congratulations to all high school and college graduates from everyone here at SERVPRO of Springfield! One of the hardest times in a student’s life is deciding what to do after the graduation ceremony is over. Finding the perfect post-graduate job is such an important next step in the stages of life. But where should you look for one? How do you separate yourself from the rest of the applicants? Should you get more than one acceptance before choosing one? Luckily, The Balance Careers has a list of tips that graduated students can take to find the job for them;
- Visit the career office and meet with a career advisor to discuss your options
- Try reaching out to contacts for information and advice rather than directly asking people to hire you
- Contact as many professionals as you can for informational consultations
- Attend networking events
- Ask alumni if you can follow up with them to gain further insight into their work environment
- Touch base with past employers, coaches, faculty, clergy, and others who have observed you in any productive capacity
- Do some networking virtually through digital platforms such as LinkedIn
- Create your own website to showcase your skills with a portfolio of work samples
- Join an official organization related to your field or industry
- Try to arrange a job shadow day
- Identify employers of interest and visit the employment section of their websites
- Develop versions of your resume that are targeted to specific jobs
It can be concerning not knowing exactly where you’re going coming out of school. But there are steps that can be taken to move forward even when you’re not entirely sure in what direction you’re moving forward. What’s most important is that you make the effort. So make a big effort by using these tips and see what doors will open for you.
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Springfield and SERVPRO of Morgan, Cass, Macoupin & Montgomery Counties are always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 217-528-7775.